Saturday, July 18, 2009

1926 Bugatti Type 40 Boattail

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Some years back, while restoring a 1929 Ford Model A roadster, I was referred to Lucas Engineering (Long Beach, Ca) for a set of newly manufactured tires. As I set foot in the show room, I was taken aback by a 1926 (?) Bugatti Type 40 like the one pictured above (this might actually be the same car). I had never seen one up close and personal, and was completely awed by its incredible design and materials, especially the engine. The owner had kept it in pristine condition and took it out for occasional outings, once racing it against a late model Corvette, keeping right up to speed with it. I’m not sure how many of these were manufactured or have survived over the years, but this is one of my all time favorite racers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If I recall, the way to adjust the valves on a Bugatti was to take the oil pan off and do it from the bottom of the engine!