Saturday, February 14, 2009

Johnny Hodges By David Stone Martin

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Here’s another great example of David Stone Martin’s illustration style. I especially dig the way he captured the chair in this drawing. Johnny Hodges was Duke Ellington’s star alto sax player, and had a unique, identifiable style all his own. I’m not sure what tracks were on this album as I couldn’t seem to find a reissue online (and I don’t have a copy in my collection), but I’m sure the music has been reissued and repackaged by now, perhaps with a different cover. Nevertheless, you can’t really go wrong with any of Johnny Hodges’ music.

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

I love this drawing. I have a huge collection of David Stone Martin's work, as he lived 2 doors down from my parents in the early 1950's. He gave away entire portfolios of his work for Christmas every year. While I like Ben Shahn's work, too (he also lived in our small town), I'm always baffled when people compare the work of the 2 of them. DSM's lines are very fluid while Shahn's lines are very straight and his forms very blocky. Personally, I think DSM's work has a lot of easy movement to it, while Shahn's is more static.

Joey Altruda said...

Wow, that's incredible. I've been collecting his stuff since the early 80's, mainly record covers. There are other DSM entries in my blog if you look through the index, also a Coleman Hawkins piece that I had found that was autographed by Hawkins. I'll definately check out Ben Shah's work, thanks for the tip.
BTW, where did you find out about my blog?
Best Always,

Joey

Mrs. C said...

How I found the blog: My Google alerts e-mail me whenever anything new on David Stone Martin comes on the web. I'm registered for a number of different alerts. But whenever I find something relating to DSM, I e-mail it to my 85-yr old mother. She adored him. She said that after he gave her the first Christmas portfolio, she matted and framed all the prints and when he walked into our house, she said he was visibly embarrassed to see our living room filled with his work. Apparently, he hung the work of others in his house. I also collect the work of his son, Stefan Martin (a woodcut artist), who moved into the same house 2 doors down from us, after DSM moved out. If you check on e-bay, they sometimes have a collection of drawings that DSM did for a Westinghouse (all musically oriented). Love your blog.